ABOUT COLOPHON CENTER
Colophon Center’s mission is to serve as a welcoming location and energetic catalyst for the word arts communities of the Deep West. Its overarching goal is to explore and support the literary cultures that reflect the free, open and diverse nature of living in the Rocky Mountain and desert west. By encouraging and fostering the further development of a vibrant book community throughout the region we will increase the impact of western voices on the American literary conversation.
Colophon Center was born from a conversation at the bar after the first day of Book Expo America in 2014 and became a registered non-profit in the state of Colorado in March, 2015. We are anticipating 501(c)3 status in summer of 2016 from the Internal Revenue Service.
As we search for a physical location, we will be beginning outreach into Denver area schools, organizing and hosting gallery events, educational meetings, and social gatherings. Please let us know if you would like to be involved on any level.
What We Do:
- Promote the art and craft of book publishing through Read Colorado, and other regional awareness programs
- House a teaching library of PubWest design award-winning books
- Provide a physical space for events, classes, seminars, etc. to celebrate books born in the Deep West / Rocky Mountain West
- Co-working space for publishing companies and professionals
- Outreach into schools, universities, writer’s groups find engagement and educate individuals about the book publishing industry
- Act as gallery for book arts
- Provide an internship model for individuals wanting to become publishing professionals
- Colophon Editions will be focused on reprints in fine and special editions of exceptional book-length works by authors from the region
The Board of Directors has identified the following short-term goals for the organization:
- Identify potential co-housing partners
- Secure physical location
- Develop letterpress program
- Circulate proposals for grade school outreach
- Establish lecture / reading schedule
- Establish internship and scholarship opportunities
- Book arts exhibitions to coincide with First Friday galley events